Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 19:12:44 -0500
From:      James <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compatibility problems with Compaq Proliant/RAID?

I've got a Compaq Proliant 3000R server, with Compaq's 2-channel RAID
controller installed.  I've been trying to get ANY version of FreeBSD to
run on this system.  I'm not sure where the problem is.

I was able to install 4.0 from the CD on the system when it was not
running RAID.  I installed the RAID card and re-configured the drives
and 3.3 would not recognize the drive; 4.0 did recognize the drive and
would let me do the install but would crash on "makedev returns a
non-zero value".

I was able to create a boot floppy for the machine and try to install
4.0-RELEASE from ftp.freebsd.org and this seemed to get me farther,
except after the initial downloading of files, just about anything
forked would cause a core dump (sh was causing core dumps) so I couldn't
do anything, and then upon re-booting the system, it could not find or
boot the kernel.

I'm not sure what the problem is.  Is it that FreeBSD does NOT support
Compaq's RAID scsi card?    Any ideas.

Thanks for your prompt response - I've installed the OS about 20 times
in the last day and really want to get it to work with my raid5
configuration from compaq.