Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 22:30:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Arnold <tom@inna.net>
To:        John Milford <jwm@meeko.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, jwm@csua.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: Apollo VP2/VP3 chipset

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, John Milford wrote:

> 	Does anyone have experience with these chipsets?  Are you
> happy with them ...   I am thinking about getting a motherboard based on
> one or the other of these, but have not seen much about them on
> the list.

The VP2 is also known as the AMD640 chipset.  AMD licensed the core from
VIA.  Only board I've seen shipping with the VIA 590/VP2 chipset is the
FIC PA-2011 which is ATX only.  I have not extensively tested my AMD640
based board.  In fact, I powered it up to make sure it worked okay and it
has sat in the box ever since.

Rumors about the VP3 : SMP support for OpenPIC chips ( finally! ).  Beyond
that rumor and PC97 and AGC support and complience... not much other real
info.

Might want to hit http://sysdoc.pair.com

If you haven't hit it already, http://www.via.com.tw for the chipset's
homepage.

     : Tom Arnold - No relation to Rosanne           :
     : SysAdmin/Pres - TBI, Ltd ( inna.net )         :
     : The Middle Peninsula's Internet Connection    :