Date:      Mon, 25 Dec 2006 14:56:32 -0500
From:      Anish Mistry <amistry@am-productions.biz>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Attaching ugen to all usb devices

--nextPart1648676.h7rlKvJYYM

	Many usb devices can be attached as different devices along with=20
being functional with some libusb app that requires ugen.
eg.  HP PSC Printers will attach as ulpt, if ulpt isn't loaded umass=20
can attach to access the card slot, if neither of these are loaded=20
ugen will attach which is required to run the hplip vendor software=20
so that the printer, scanner, and fax machine can be accessed.
	It would be very helpful to allow ulpt, umass, and ugen to all attach=20
to the device.  This would allow full functionality.  Simultaneous=20
access isn't necessary, but might be nice in the future.
	I believe I mentioned this before, but I'd like to actually implement=20
this now.  At least allow ugen to attach to all devices along side=20
the native driver.  I'd to do this on the HPS stack and then maybe=20
port the changes to 6.x.
	The closest thing I can think of that allows similar behavior is=20
vgapci that allow acpi_video and a drm driver to both access the=20
video card.

Any pointers should be appreciated.

Thanks,

=2D-=20