Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:59:21 +0300
From:      Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@pbxpress.com>
To:        Alexander Kabaev <kan@kan.dnsalias.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Christian Zander <czander@nvidia.com>
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA FreeBSD kernel feature requests

Alexander Kabaev wrote:
> WHY it smells like a hack? It was designed precisely to do that. I am
> using cloned devices in our  product with great success. Every client
> opening 'magic' device gets its own exclusive cloned device instance
> and everything works like a charm. I am yet to hear any single coherent
> description of what Linux's approach has over device cloning in FreeBSD.
> I wouldn't mind being educated on this.
	OK, it's a lack of my knowledge. It seemed a bit unnatural to me
to create device nodes instead of keeping a single pointer and I decided
it was supposed to do something other then keeping per-open instance.
It would be great to have this event/mechanism documented for I'd found
it looking through source code in /usr/src/sys. Not the worst place to
get information but man pages are better :)

--
Sincerely,

Oleksandr Tymoshenko
PBXpress Communications, Inc.