Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 1996 10:39:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Confused about locale

As [?KOI8-R?] wrote:

> > > I dislike idea of "system default" locale, I like idea of "user
> > > default" locale instead!
> >
> > Ok. There will be a way of achieving this shortly via login.conf.
>
> Not so quick, it will be nice if user can change his preferences
> easily.

Yes.

> > > There must be some field into passwd which indicates current user
> > > startup locale which must be changeable by user via chpass.
> >
> > The last part is more difficult. But the field is already there
> > in "class".
>
> What is difficult here? As man says "class" is pointer to termcap-style
> attributes. Do you mean that they must be unchangeable by user?

We should either extend chpass(1) to support more user-changeable
options (preferred, since it's got a nice interface), or make pw(8)
able to do this on behalf of the user (which also requires a user-
usable frontend then).  It's not only that certain parts of the login
class should be changeable by the user, but e.g. for a site that
maintains a `one group per user, and put them all into secondary
groups' policy, the user should also be able to enable or disable
people's access to `his' group without asking the sysadmin.

--
cheers, J"org