Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 19:29:39 +0000
From:      Tiarnan O Corrain <ocorrain@esatclear.ie>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZIPdrive won't mount

Hello--

I've recently installed FreeBSD on a computer that used to run Debian
Linux, and am having a few teething problems.

The first concerns a zipdisk on which I have backed up all of my old
mail. The drive is a primeval parallel port 100M Zip, which
nevertheless is dear to my heart and has worked well for me. I
recompiled the kernel, and the vpo device is showing up in my boot
messages:

  # dmesg|grep vpo
  vpo0: <Iomega VPI0 Parallel to SCSI interface> on ppbus0
  vpo0: EPP mode
  da0 at vpo0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0

Going with the article on Zip disks that came with my 4.4-RELEASE
documentation, I tried to mount the disk. Fdisk gives the following
output:

  # fdisk /dev/da0
  ******* Working on device /dev/da0 *******
  parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
  cylinders=96 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

  parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
  cylinders=96 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

  Media sector size is 512
  Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
  Information from DOS bootblock is:
  The data for partition 1 is:
  <UNUSED>
  The data for partition 2 is:
  <UNUSED>
  The data for partition 3 is:
  <UNUSED>
  The data for partition 4 is:
  sysid 6,(Primary 'big' DOS (> 32MB))
      start 32, size 196576 (95 Meg), flag 80 (active)
  	  beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
  	  end: cyl 95/ head 63/ sector 32

which seems OK, so I try:

  # mount_msdos /dev/da0s4 /mnt

and get:

  mount_msdos: /dev/da0s4: Invalid argument

though I can hear the drive chugging away.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

Tiarnan