Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 18:42:10 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au>
To:        alex huppenthal <alex@comsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: US West Pulls Dry Copper Tarrif, Angers ISPs]

Telstra in Australia has been doing that for ages.

You can buy PAPL (basically dry copper pairs) from telstra, and we used
the "alarm signaling" excuse for DC connectivity :) But now getting them
is very, VERY hard, and over more than one exchange, practically
impossible. And they *LOVE* MUXing them at exchanges, which means if
you're not careful, its 64k max bandwidth for you.

The sad thing is that Australia WOULD possibly be doing the same thing
(cheap as buggery T1-ish links, if bandwidth was cheaper over here.
American ISPs, think what would happen if you were being charged 19c a meg
for incoming data. :)

In reading the article, its said that US West will be provisioning their
own xDSL links to customers. Same as Tel$tra. Case of the telco realising
that THEY should be making more money instead of some ISP.

How about all you ISPs band together and form a telco? Lay your own cable,
and from my understanding, the telco which has the subscribers (in our
case, telstra) would pay YOU an interconnection charge whenever someone
on their network called someone on our network :) ("First 1000 people to
clock 1000 hours online will recieve a years internet subscription FREE!"
:-)

Enough rambling,

--
Adrian Chadd			| "Unix doesn't stop you from doing
<adrian@psinet.net.au>		|   stupid things because that would