Date:      Sat, 04 May 2002 19:48:29 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: savcore dump names?

In message <20020504173515.4109D3811@overcee.wemm.org>, Peter Wemm writes:

>My concerns are pretty simple.  You're chopping stuff out of a particularly
>hairy bit of timing sensitive device driver code, not being able to test it
>on the hardware that needs it, and all this for no apparent reason other
>than that you do not like (or do not understand) it.  ie: we do not gain
>anything by it except risking breakage when the code gets used by more than
>a handful of people.

Well, I think reality is slightly different:

I have removed a piece of code which I have spent the better part of
70 hours investigating, during which time I have not found one single
place where it did anything of any difference.

It is, by the way not at all timing sensitive, unless you do the
next-page processing in software, which I am pretty certain we do not
do anywhere in sys/dev/mii since the API wouldn't support it, neither
at boot time nor later.

By leaving it in, we risk having it copied & pasted to even more
PHY drivers where it will only clutter up the source and prevent
people from understanding what is going on.

>In the light of the savecore fiasco, I'm worried that you are going to
>simply respond and and say "Not my problem" when all hell breaks loose in 6
>to 12 months from now.  When somebody upgrades their 4.x box to 5.0-REL and
>their 'tl' card stops working because of your "simplification", will you
>fix it?  If you commit to that, then I'm no longer worried.

I think there is a big difference.  savecore is a userland program
only slightly more complex than hello.c which anyone can make changes
to, so saying "not my problem" is not a project disaster, despite
what the totally out of proportion email trafic on the subject might
lead one to belive.

If this breaks the tl network driver, then it is not because I removed
this code, then it is because the problem were not fixed in if_tl.c where
it should have been originally, and if somebody reports such breakage
I will do what I can to fix the problem.

>This is not quite the same thing as userconfig. [...]

You make this sound like resurrecting things from CVS is impossible,
something both you, I and everybody else know is just plain wrong.

I actually think it is quite the same as USERCONFIG.