Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:30:18 -0800
From:      Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   status of the handbook

It's been a while since I've sent one of these, mainly due to lack of
time and lack of keeping an up-to-date todo list.  At any rate, the
deadline for getting this thing out for technical review is in 8 days
(April 1st).  With that said, the list of stuff left todo is dwindling
at a pretty decent rate.  Here's what we've got so far:

[This is available at http://people.FreeBSD.org/~jim/handbook.txt]

  Last updated:  Thu Mar 23 12:09:46 PST 2000

  Finished (full chapters):
  -------------------------
  Chapter 1 (introduction - jim)
  Chapter 2 (installing FreeBSD - jim)
  Chapter 3 (unix basics - chris shumway)
  Chapter 4 (the ports collection - jim)
  Chapter 5 (booting process - nbm)
  Chapter 6 (users and basic account management - nbm)
  Chapter 8 (security - unfurl)
  Chapter 10 (disks - nbm, jim)
  Chapter 11 (backups - jim)
  Chapter 12 (X - jim)
  Chapter 13 (localization - michael chin-yuan wu)
  Chapter 15 (ppp and slip - jim)
  Chapter 17 (electronic mail - jim)
  Chapter 18 (staying up-to-date with FreeBSD - jim)
  Chapter 23 (linux compatibility - jim)

  In progress (full chapters):
  ----------------------------
  Chapter 7 (configuring the kernel - jim)
  Chapter 9 (printing - joel)
  Chapter 16 (advanced networking - unfurl)
  Chapter 24 (FreeBSD internals - michael chin-yuan wu)

  In progress (parts of chapters):
  --------------------------------
  Chapter 16 (DHCP - greg)

  To do:
  ------
  Chapter 14 (serial communications)
  Chapter 22 (kernel debugging)

  Breakdown of the above:
  -----------------------
  Chapter 14 is another one of those topics I don't know jack about.  It
  was assembled from the FAQ (at least parts of it were), so it might
  need some updating done to it.  If it doesn't, restructuring won't be
  a problem.

  Chapter 16 is one of the ones being worked on currently.  Hopefully
  we'll get the bits that are supposedly being worked on in time for me
  to add them in.  If we don't get them, it'll just be restructured
  since it's pretty much up-to-date.

  Also, we're going to need to go through the completed bits and make
  sure that they're up-to-date for 4.0-R.

If anyone wants to lend a hand with the stuff that still needs doing,
get in touch with me.

- jim

--
- jim mock - walnut creek cdrom/freebsd test labs - jim@luna.cdrom.com -