Date:      Tue, 03 Jun 1997 17:46:17 -0600
From:      Joshua Fielden <shag@concentric.net>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable-modems

Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> Howdy,
>         My local TV provider announced they would offer Internet connectivity
> through a Motorola product that will let you use an ethernet card to
> connect to they fiber (TV) network .
> I wanted to join, but the local provider doesn't offer details, and
> Motorola says Unix is not supported. Anyone knows something about this?
> Of course I said I wasn't interested, Internet without Unix is a
> nonsense! But if the end-point is Ethernet, it should work.
>
>         Pedro.

	I have some friends who work for one of the Cable Modem companies, and
one of them uses FreeBSD 2.2.1, and the other uses an SGI Challenge that
work gave him, so it should work fine, it's just that, in general, UNIX
is "too much hassle and too specialized of knowledge" to bother with.
They hook in through an Ethernet adapter, and you just run a normal
stack over the connection. Make sure they don't have proprietary
software to connect though... the company I am familiar with does not.

JF