Date:      Mon, 30 May 2005 18:05:14 +0000
From:      Steve Tremblett <tremblett@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation without CDROM

On 5/25/05, Joerg Wunsch <j@ida.interface-business.de> wrote:

> I think that has been discussed/described here in the list before.
> You might want to search the archives for it.
>=20
> In short (I hope I don't forget anything):
>=20
> . your server machine needs to run rarpd because that's what the Sparc
>   firmware is using; make sure you update /etc/ethers as well there
>=20
> . your server machine needs to run tftpd, have boot/loader (for the
>   sparc64 arch) in its tftpd dir, and there must be a link from that
>   boot/loader file to a file named by the hexadecimal IP address of
>   the system trying to boot; so for a target machine having the
>   address 192.168.3.5, make a link to C0A80305
>=20
> . you then need a DHCP server because that's what FreeBSD's loader
>   uses, entries look like:
>=20
> host yourhost {
>         hardware ethernet 8:0:20:XX:XX:XX;
>         fixed-address yourhost;
>         option host-name "yourhost";
>         always-reply-rfc1048 on;
>         filename "kernel";
>         option root-path "192.168.3.1:/cdrom";
> }
>=20
>   That's how it finds the installation CD-ROM image then.  Of course,
>   the image might be mounted via an md(4) device.

Thanks for the info - I just got around to tinkering with this on the
weekend but haven't had much luck.  If it matters, the machine is an
Ultra 2 Enterprise.  FYI - I've gotten a lot of great info from the
NetBSD diskless HOWTO as well.

I'm serving the diskless boot from OpenBSD on an Ultra 10, so I've had
to kind of fill in the blanks but I'm pretty sure I've covered all the
bases.  On that system I need to run bootparamd to give the diskless
client the location of the NFS root-path instead of passing it via
dhcp but to be honest, after it takes the loader (boot/loader from the
install ISO) via tftp it makes no other network requests and simply
hangs.  The console shows "a800" after I give the "boot net" command
but nothing else.  I haven't had much of a chance to debug it past
that point but if this rings a bell to anyone I'd appreciate some
quick pointers.

I'm also trying to get FreeBSD onto the U10 but the kernel hangs,
hence my other post from this morning.  *sigh* :-)