Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 2024 14:12:41 +0100
From:      Roy Marples <roy@marples.name>
To:        "Ed Maste" <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "Ben Woods" <woodsb02@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Importing dhcpcd(8) into FreeBSD base

Hi Ed

 ---- On Thu, 06 Jun 2024 02:48:36 +0100  Ed Maste  wrote ---
 > On Sun, 7 Aug 2022 at 01:32, Ben Woods woodsb02@freebsd.org> wrote:
 > In the previous threads some objections were raised about dhcpcd's
 > lack of sandboxing (Capsicum / privilege separation), which has since
 > been addressed.
 >
 > I would like to start building and installing dhcpcd by default so
 > that it is available for testing and experimentation. I do not intend
 > to replace dhclent or rtsold, at least without more information, test
 > results, and consensus.

That's nice news, thanks for carrying the torch here :)

 > > - 14.0 (and perhaps 13.2) - dhcpcd included but off by default (WITH_DHCPCD=on, but rc.conf/network.subr continue to use dhclient/rtsold). Release notes list forward plan.
 > >
 > > - 14.1 - switch defaults in rc.conf/network.subr to use dhcpcd instead of dhclient/rtsold. Subject to any issues being addressed prior. Release notes could list deprecation of dhclient/rtsold - this deprecation step could be done slower if desired.
 >
 > Any change to use dhcpcd by default doesn't belong in a minor release,
 > so if we're going to do this it won't be before 15.0.
 >
 > > - 15.0 - remove dhclient/rtsold - again, could be done slower if desired.
 >
 > I agree with a minimum of one major release for this, so it would be
 > 16.0 at the earliest.
 >
 > > https://reviews.freebsd.org/D22012
 >
 > There's a lot of history in this review, which is useful but also
 > unwieldy. When there's a rebased patch set ready I'll create a new
 > review and reference it from D22012.

Sounds good.
For reference, there was a new dhcpcd-10.0.8 released recently. I see it's already made it's way into ports, but it's worth mentioning regardless.

But for the port itself and how it integrates into FreeBSD please be aware that dhcpcd-11 (not released yet) will be the first where you cannot have a process per interface/family.
Instead there will be a single process which covers everything.
This will reduce the code base, the complexity of how things hang together, remove the need for a network proxy process and solve some unsolvable problems that have surfaced over the years with the current structure.
How does this affect distributions using dhcpcd?

Well, if use another framework (such as FreeBSD's rc) to control DHCP per interface you still can, but you need to start dhcpcd first with all interfaces disabled.
You can do this in /etc/dhcpcd.conf or on the command line.
Once done, `dhcpcd $interface` works as before to activate the interface.

You can currently do this now with any dhcpcd-10 version as well.
Just worth mentioning I think as FreeBSD are now looking at integrating.
Plenty of discussion on this upcoming change can be read here:
  https://github.com/NetworkConfiguration/dhcpcd/discussions/271

Thanks

Roy