Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 1995 23:30:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Madsen <madsen@interaccess.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        madsen@psycfrnd.interaccess.com (David Madsen)
Subject:   SCSI Errors during 2.0 CD install

I'm having severe problems installing 2.0 from the CD.

I have an EISA 486/50 DX (not /2!) with 16 MB, 1742A
controller and st12550N disk.  The geometry is
untranslated, there is an existing DOS partition,
the first (root) slice in the freebsd partition is
completely below cyl 1024 (but paging is not).

At various times during the install, I get
"Soft error ... corrected" messages.  Later on,
the install completely dies with :

ahb0:  board not responding
Debugger ("aha1742") called.
panic:  panic for historical reasons
syncing disks  44 44 44 44  [and so on]

I have also gotten the numbers 108 and 2 instead of
44 in the syncing disks message.

I have no problem with this controller/disk in any
other OS.

Unfortunately, if this problem has been addressed adready,
I don't know about it since my archives of this list are
on tape right now waiting to be restored when this
installation is successful...   (oops).

Any suggestions on how to fix this or get the required
information to be able to fix it?

Dave Madsen ---dcm
madsen@vijit.com   -or-   madsen@interaccess.com