Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:00:55 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Nick Hibma <n_hibma@calcaphon.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.6.0?

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 10:52:13AM +0100, Nick Hibma wrote:
> Are there actually any good reasons why we _should_ upgrade in the first
> place?

Of course.  We now have an obsolete version of Perl.  That should be
reason enough to upgrade.

5.6 is the first major release in over a year.  It has significant new
syntax that I intend to start using immediately, as will much of the
rest of the Perl community.  "Why haven't you upgraded yet?" is a
rather traditional battle cry.

I don't know whey they called it 5.6.0.. I'm dropping the .0, because
it seems to inspire the usual "point-oh fear".  This is not a
"point-oh" release in the usual sense, and waiting for 5.6.1 would be
a mistake.

This message should not be construed as whining and prodding our Perl
maintainer.  Although I haven't looked at how it's done, I'm sure that
integrating Perl with FreeBSD's build process is a difficult and
tedious thing, and if I wanted it that badly, I would be offering
patches.  This is merely a rebuttal to the silly idea that FreeBSD
should stick with an obsolete version of Perl indefinately.  It needs
to be updated in a timely manner, which probably means any time
before the next FreeBSD release.  (With allowances for going into
current first, etc.).
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/