Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:34:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ralph Huntington <rjh@mohawk.net>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pam session failing

> > Did you at some time update to a newer version of -stable or -current?

No...

> > More to the point:  What is the output of 'fgrep ssh /etc/pam.conf' ?

This proved interesting. All the sshd entries were missing from pam.conf.
I cannot imagine how the heck that happened since the system (4.2) had not
been upgraded since it was installed (telnet was disabled from the start)
and ssh always worked fine.

> Or it might be something else: does your /etc/master.passwd file list
> passwords in DES or MD5 format?

Most are now MD5, but a few older ones are DES. When this system was
reloaded with 4.2 (had been 3.x), the existing accounts were carried over
with the DES passwords in place. That has not presented any problem to us.

No, the sshd problem turned out to be the missing entries in pam.conf.
Where they went, I do not know.
					Ralph