Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:52:58 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB drivers

At 12:26 AM 1/31/99 , Cory Kempf wrote:
>Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com> writes:
>
>> At 04:28 PM 1/30/99 , Jason Thorpe wrote:
>> It's unfortunate FreeBSD does
>> not have a PPC port (not even in the works I don't think), because I'd
>> imagine it'd perform rather well.
>
>Not sure I can agree about the performance, however, Apple's MacOS X Server
>(that name *REALLY* sucks... I see it and keep thinking of an X server),
>their marketting department's new name for Rhapsody, is essentially 4.4 BSD
>on top of a Mach microkernel.

Well we could take a 'blast from the past' and talk about A/UX :-)

>Apple is supposed to be working with the various BSD folk, and swapping some
>code back and forth.
>
>I think they are currently taking orders on their web site.
>
>Tennon has MachTen, which is also a BSD port to PowerMac.

If I remember right, Machten is a combination of Mach and BSD 4.4.  I can't
really say my experiences with it were too impressive.  Considering I
couldn't compile a simple copy of IRCII-2.8 without having to go in and
hack the hell out of it.

It's Tenon Intersystems if I remember right, www.tenon.com.  I have not yet
checked out PowerMachten, which could theoretically be better.  Back in the
day I was using Machten 2.3 on a Performa 476 (68LC040 based machine).  The
integration is there (just like running SoftPC on a Mac, the integration is
decent as well there), but it failed to build a lot of stuff that any other
BSD-based machine here would.

So I moved away from it, in favor of FreeBSD, yet again. :)

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D