Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:44:12 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        papowell@astart.com, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <3958502D.DF9729BD@gorean.org> Doug Barton writes:
> :       I'm surprised to hear this coming from you, actually. I disagree
> : strongly that discouraging commercial vendors from being able to
> : integrate "stock" parts of freebsd into their product is "not our
> : problem." One of the drawing cards for freebsd is that commercial
> : vendors _can_ take our code and use it in any manner they see fit. The
> : list of exceptions is long enough already, I haven't seen a compelling
> : reason to make it longer.
>
> I'd like to point out that FreeBSD isn't all Free.

	A point which I readily concede. My question is, should we be working
to make it more free, or adding more software that makes it less free?

> Second, the ARTISTIC license does not preclude FreeBSD from including
> LPRng.  This statement is still true.  We can comply with all the
> terms of the license.

	I also conceded this point.

> Third, we have a crying need for a better print system.

	This is where you lose me. I haven't seen this need demonstrated. Au
contraire, I have seen many people say that the current lp* is good
enough for them, or easily adaptable to their specific needs through the
ports. In all my years of working with freebsd, including using it as a
desktop at home I've not spent even 10 hours worrying about lpd. I've
installed apsfilter at home, and added the jet direct card to the
printcap at work.... voila.

> lpr/lpd are hard to maintain and difficult to audit.

	I can't comment authoritatively on this, except to say that we do have
volunteers willing (and apparently able) to hack on what we have. I
would like to see them have the opportunity.

> So we have to weigh the needs of most of the FreeBSD users against the
> theoretical needs of a potential company wanting to make print servers
> on a stick that requires them to hack lprng.

	You have left out the philosophical point. I think it's obvious that
you don't see that as important (or important enough), but there are
some of us who do. Perhaps in the end that's not enough of a reason to
keep it out. I just personally feel that this would be a move in the
wrong direction.

	This'll probably be my last post on this topic, since I'm now repeating
myself.

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire