Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 12:46:23 -0600
From:      Tillman <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail to News software suggestions?

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:42:13PM -0500, Doug Lee wrote:
> I want to read busy mailing lists with nn or trn.  I have space to
> store the messages as news articles locally.  I'm looking for a
> system that will take incoming list mail and deposit it in "newsgroups"
> I create for them on this machine.  I use procmail, so it would be
> fine to pass off list mail messages to this system via procmail
> recipes.  I also hope to find an easy way to expire/delete articles
> easily after I read them, individually or (more likely) in bulk
> after each of my nn/trn sessions.  Note that these pseudo-newsgroups
> are for my use only and will not be seen outside of my system, so
> a read article never need be kept at all, really, unless I decide
> to keep an archive.  Also, I do not handle "real" newsgroups here
> at all (I don't have THAT much space); if I ever use nn/trn locally
> to read real news, I'll find an NNTP server.
>
> Does anyone know a good way to do this?

If the mailing list in question uses Mailman, I beleive it has a
mail->news gateway built in. Pestering the list administrator to set it
up might be useful in that case :-)

I'd be interested in a news<->mail gateway for personal use as well. I
suspect the complicated part will be in the replying mechanism -
converting back to mail format is a bit more complicated in terms of
needing user configuration information than simply calling a filter from
procmail or maildrop.

- Tillman

--
"The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere."
	- Anne Morrow Lindbergh {American Author}