Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:20:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer kernels

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Vivek Khera wrote:

> So you're saying that even after upgrading from 3.4 to 4.0 you should
> use make buildkernel?  That seems counter to what has been discussed
> before, and is way non-BSD-ish.

Buildkernel internally handles tool dependency problems, where the kernel
build depends on tools which were built by make installworld, but not yet
installed on the system. The alternative is to post a detailed list of
which bits must be installed before you can build your new kernel, each
time it happens, which is error-prone and subject to people not reading
their mail (oops, which is exactly what happened this time around).

It's a bit different than what you're used to in FreeBSD, but you can't
call it "non-BSD-ish" unless you want to also criticise "make world". You
can go on using the "old procedure" if you like, but please don't post
kernel build bug reports unless you've used buildkernel.

Kris