Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:00:24 -0800
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Subject:   Re: Linux kernel on FreeBSD

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 12:16:49PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> >=20
> > Jeff Lawlor wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 09:07, Ruben de Groot wrote:
> > >=20

> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > Cisco VPN.
> >=20
> > Port:   vpnc-0.3.2
> > Info:   Client for Cisco 3000 VPN Concentrator
> > Maint:  delta@lackas.net
> > B-deps: expat-1.95.8 gettext-0.13.1_1 gmake-3.80_2 libgcrypt-1.2.0_1=20
> > libgpg-error-1.0_1 libiconv-1.9.2_1 perl-5.8.5
> > R-deps: expat-1.95.8 gettext-0.13.1_1 libgcrypt-1.2.0_1=20
> > libgpg-error-1.0_1 libiconv-1.9.2_1 perl-5.8.5
> >=20
> >=20
> > This one? I have no idea what this thread is about, but that's in ports=
.=20
> > Wouldn't Linux emulation work anyway?
>=20
> I think it was sort of a newbie question from someone who has yet to
> learn about ports and also the Linux emulation available in FreeBSD.

First, I don't consider myself a newbie, but I do have a lot less
experience with freebsd than linux.  And I don't think this idea is that
impractical, but maybe just not that useful as a better answer might
just be a more bsd-like distro like slackware, but I think even
slackware likes to use bash as it's main shell.

>=20
> First they seemed to think they would have to somehow import the Linux=20
> kernel in to FreeBSD somehow to run a Lunix driver, showing unfamiliarity=
=20
> with the Linux emulation already there that allows Lunix stuff to be run.=
  =20

Does linux emulation allow me to run the usb visor driver on freebsd or
enable me to use the latest ati 3d graphics driver available for linux?
If there's a way than tell me.  The linux emulation is just for running
linux binaries like doom 3 which it does very well, but it doesn't help
in kernel space.

>=20
> Then they did not seem to know about the vpnc (or other stuff) already in=
=20
> ports to perform the function[s] they want.   I have to admit, searching
> /usr/ports can be a bit time consuming and tedius if you get started on
> a wrong track.

I never brought up vpnc or anything about vpns, that was someone else,
but I did mention the freebsd kernel seems to be lacking some hw support
that linux does not, and that's a much harder problem to fix then trying
to get linux software to run on freebsd.  There isn't really any
replacement in ports that I can find for my realtek card or my sony
clie, both of which were given to me, not specifically my choice.

>=20
> Anyway, hopefully, you have enlightened them.
>=20
> ////jerry

--=20
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C
=20