Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 19:34:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Nathan V. Patwardhan" <nvp@mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Undefined symbol "_xmDrawingAreaWidgetClass"

Hi there,

I'm receiving the following error when I try to run any of the JDK demo
applets in /usr/local/jdk1.1.7/demo/... ; it seems like I need a Motif
library, but ...

For example:
$ cd /usr/local/jdk1.1.7/demo/Animator
$ appletviewer example1.html
Undefined symbol "_xmDrawingAreaWidgetClass" in java:/usr/local/jdk1.1.7/lib/i386/green_threads/libawt.so (libawt.so)
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no awt in shared library path
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary(Runtime.java)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java)
        at
        at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:394)
        at sun.applet.AppletCopyright.<init>(AppletCopyright.java:28)
        at sun.applet.AppletViewer.mainInit(AppletViewer.java:1030)
        at sun.applet.AppletViewer.main(AppletViewer.java:1039)

Well, I checked out the FreeBSD mailing list archive for java-questions and
the closest suggestion was that the $DISPLAY should be correctly set.  I'm
using an xterm with a $DISPLAY correctly set (i.e. I can open windows from
my xterminal and other stuff), so I don't think that this is the problem.

$ echo DISPLAY
localhost:0.0

I'm running 2.2.7-RELEASE (STABLE by tonight or tomorrow) and
jdk1.1.7.V98-12-21.tar.gz.  I followed the instructions from
www.freebsd.org/java before installing and all that stuff.  FWIW, I'd had
no problems (did not see this error) with any of the jdk1.1.6 releases.

It would be swell if someone could drop a quick note.  Thanks!

--
Nate Patwardhan
nvp@mediaone.net