Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:03:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Anyone have experience with DLT stackers?

I'm working on implementing "amanda" for backup & recovery.

We're in the process of switching from DDS (4mm) media to DLT.

I believe that it would be useful to at least begin to plan for the
(eventual) deployment of a stacker (though it need not be more
elaborate than a simple "gravity" stacker).

The vendor we're using (Andataco, evidently -- I'm still a little
new here) has a couple of stackers with similar characteristics;
each handles up to 7 DLT cartridges, but one is made by Quantum,
and the other is made by Exabyte.

Anyone have a feel for which is more likely to work adequately for
FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE?

Here's the list of differences I've been told about (other than price,
which is in the $8K range, with a difference of about $300 between the
two -- close enough that price isn't a significant differentiator):

			Quantum	ENC-6107-40S	Exabyte	EXB/18D-4TS
Operator interface	"control panel"		LCD screen
Bar Code Reader		n/a			available
Dimensions WxHxD	8.9"x10.7"x27"		9.5"x22"x21.4"
MTBF			30KHrs.			200KHrs.
Cycles Between Failures	400K			1000K

Each is a narrow single-ended SCSI device (in addition to the DLT4000
drive, which comes with the stacker), with a rated native xfer rate of
1.5MB/sec.

(As alluded to above, I have no expectation that I'd be making any use
of a bar-code reader.)

Thanks,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621