Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:09:03 +0200
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rel.current entity for www/en a la Handbook

--3eH4Qcq5fItR5cpy

Hi Bruce,
On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 08:36:47PM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> At this point in time, there is only one FAQ, one Handbook, and so on. =
=20
> So these documents have only a single notion of what &rel.current;=20
> should be (right now, it's 4.3-RELEASE).

Yes and no. Several weeks or even months ago, Nik posted a set of patches
to generate version-specific versions of the FAQ.  He had similar issues
there, a look into the patches (which I can't find right now) might yield
an avenue of approach.

Another idea is to use the model for the translations, especially the use
and abuse of $LANGCODE. I've done some experiments with legalnotice.sgml in
a checked-out copy of the German repository.  This copy contains all the
documents living in /usr/doc/de_DE.ISO_8859-1 and if I set LANGCODE to
de_DE.ISO_8859-1, the makefileis will use the "official" version. If I
wanted to use my copy of legalnotice.sgml I set LANGCODE to
=2E./../home/ue/Sources/de-docproj and started make.

Yes, I'm a pervert.

The effect to changing LANGCODE is a change of the parameters for jade.
If you generate the html version of an article, jade is called as:
jade <some constants> -c $DOCDIR/$LANGCODE/share/sgml/catalog <some
more parameters> <sourcefile>.

You should be able to use a similar mechanismn for the release notes.  Slap
all version-specific stuff into one sourcefile called defs.sgml.  Create a
set of directories, one per supported version of the release notes, add
catalogs. And use an environment variable to switch directories at compile
time, passing -c $RELNOTESROOT/$VERSION/catalog as the first -c argument
to jade.

> How's that?

Just my $0.02.

/s/Udo