Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 1995 10:32:08 -0700
From:      James Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, hasty@netcom.com, jrb@cs.pdx.edu
Subject:   Re: Whee - I've got my MBONE feed..

Your message <199504031156.EAA02326@time.cdrom.com>:

I've got 2.0 cdrom and a set of mbone utilities, the usual gang
	sd/nv/vat/wb... and mbone locally.

In general, I have found that vat doesn't work with anything...
meaning sound cards that I have (gus/sb16).

sd works.  nv works (I tested it locally too via a local
solaris system that can send video).  wb seems to work
but crashed once when I wasn't paying attention.
I have had various experiences mostly bad with sound cards.
I have a gus 3.74 (close, may be off).  /dev/audio
makes proper noises if you cat .au file to it.  mike doesn't work
for input.  sb16 works with both .au output and mike.
You have to raise the mike level with the drivers in 2.0 cdrom
to get the mike up on the sb.  I'm looking at the code
for various sound/vat drivers that are kicking around but
haven't got into it enough yet.

A grad. student working with me is supposed to be porting
nevot to freebsd.  Right now we're playing with the linux mtalk app
but haven't got very far yet.

				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu