Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:34:23 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, chip <chip@wiegand.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad disk partitioning policies (was: "Re: FreeBSD Intaller (was"Re:  ... RedHat ...")")

Ryan Thompson wrote:
> We symlink /tmp to /var/tmp on all of our servers, so my company is
> obviously very interested in knowing if this represents a potential
> problem, in the event that we need to reboot any of our machines
> before they die of natural causes.

boot -s

mkdir /var/tmp

No longer a problem: if /var isn't mounted, it will use a /tmp
on /.

The real issue is that the / FS should be mounted read-only,
if we were doing things correctly.

Personally, I've only rarely needed /tmp (you will not believe
the hacks to shell scripts in tape install images that I have
done using dd with byte counts as if it were "sed", in order
to get Ultrix to install on disks it didn't want to install on).

-- Terry