Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:39:39 -0400
From:      "I'Khala" <ikhala@phoenix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Spidey <beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca>
Cc:        bwood@KingsU.ab.ca, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP Scripts

Quoting Spidey (spidey@jsp.umontreal.ca):
> If anyone cares.... for the cvsup part, I made an scripts that automates
> the process of upgrading the sources:
Of course we care ... :)

> It is very stupid and simple, but it saves me some time, and it keeps all
> the mods made to the source tree logged somewhere with a timestamp in the
> name.
Just applying the ubiquitous k.i.s.s. principle.  I'm all for that!!!

> Just do, say,  ./update ports to update the tree as per the ports-supfile
> and log the results in ./logs/ports-`date +%Y%m%d`
>
> Gimme your comments please!
I've only glanced at it so far.  I'll take a closer look tonite, run it on
a couple of servers I maintain.  From what I see so far I like it.  One
of the best things about *nix is the number of tools at our disposal along
with the number of way to implement an idea ...

> #! /bin/sh
>
> cvsup="/usr/local/bin/cvsup"
> flags="-P m -L 2 -g -h"
> host="cvsup.ca.freebsd.org"
> curDir="."
> logdir="$curDir/logs"
> date=`date +%Y%m%d`
> nolog=0
> verbose=1
>
> # A basic usage...
> usage ( ) {
>     cat <<EOF
> Usage: update [-q] [-n | -l <logdir>] [ -d <fmt> ] collection
> -q: be quiet
> -n: do not log to a file
> -l <logdir>: log into dir <logdir>
> -d <fmt>: change the date format used for logfile name ["$date"]
> The supfile will be <collection>-supfile.
> EOF
>     exit 1
> }
>
> if test $# -lt 1
> then usage
> fi
>
> # Get the command line right!
> #set -- `getopt nl:qv $*`
>
> #for i
> #do
> #    case "$i"
> #    in
> #	-q)
> #		verbose=0; shift;;
> #	-v)
> #		verbose=1; shift;;
> #	-n)
> #		nolog=1; shift;;
> #	-l)
> #		logdir=$2; shift; shift;;
> #	-d)
> #		date=$2; shift; shift;;
> #    esac
> #done
>
> dist=$1
> supfile="$curDir/$dist-supfile"
>
> if [ ! -r $supfile ]
> then
> 	echo "Can't read $supfile, exiting..."
> 	exit 1
> fi
>
> if [ ! -d $logdir ]
> then
> 	echo "Can't find $logdir directory, using current dir for logfiles"
> 	logdir="."
> fi
>
> if [ $nolog -eq 1 ]
> then
> 	logfile="/dev/null"
> else
> 	logfile="$logdir/$dist-$date"
> fi
>
> echo "This will be the command issued:"
> echo "\"$cvsup $flags $host $supfile 2>&1 | tee -a $logfile\""
> echo -n "Press [enter] to confirm, or ^C to exit: "
> read void
>
> if [ $verbose -eq 1 ]
> then
> 	$cvsup $flags $host $supfile 2>&1 | tee -a $logfile
> else
> 	$cvsup $flags $host $supfile 2>&1 >> $logfile
> fi

[snip, snip ...]

#;^)
--