Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:48:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iain@research.canon.com.au>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US checking accounts for non-US residents

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:

> At 16:58 2001-06-27 +1000, Iain Templeton wrote:
> >Wow! A bank that doesn't charge you fees. You lucky Americans!
> >
> >Lets see, that'll be $5 for going below $500, $1.50 per other bank ATM
> >transaction. $1.something for an other bank EFTPOS transaction. Now,
> >where's my 0.25% PA interest? Lets not talk about overdrafts...
>
> Well, overdraft fees I find justifiable. The rest of them, I do not.
> Most importantly, what I meant was no minimum balance and no fees
> related to that.

Yes true, I tend to keep in the black, so have no problems. Even my
credit card.

> Most banks, even in the US, do have monthly minimums and charge you
> "account maintenance fees" if you go below that. That is the fee I
> object to, and refuse to open an account in a bank that has one.

Yes, my bank recently upped the account maintenance fee to $2000, that
is just wrong. For many years I would never have had $2000, mind you I
was a full time student (I almost wrote stupid :-) then and was exempt.
However there would be a large number of people who have no hope of
keeping that around.

> For eaxmple, when I moved to the little town I live in now, I went
> from bank to bank looking for the right one. I explained to each one
> of them my conditions (the smart ones are willing to negotiate).
> One rep smiled and said: "You will not find that in Rhinelander."
>
> I did find it, and I came back to her to tell her so.

We have basically 5 banks in Australia, and a number of other smaller
groups who provide banking services (some of them are credit unions,
others are overseas banks). Generally the big 4 (+1) tend to have the
highest fees.

> Anyway, the reason I object to this fee is that it is unfair and
> ridiculous. When you deposit money in a bank, the bank takes your
> money, invests it, and makes more money from it. They have a lot
> of nerve to charge you a fee for depositing less than $500 (or any
> amount).

I think the one I find the hardest to comprehend is the service fees. If
I make more than 6 electronic (ie Internet, phone, EFTPOS, ATM)
transactions a month, I get charge $1.50 per excess transaction.

I only get 2 over the counter transactions as well. Not that I need
them.

It's funny really, the banks make barely anything out of personal
banking, yet charge the highest fees. It looks as if they are forcing
the individual business units to make the highest profits, rather than
perhaps spreading things out across the entire business.

Oh well...

Iain