Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:54:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Tony Jago <T.Jago@its.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Poor Samba -> Win9x performance [more]

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Tony Jago wrote:

>  Just incase I was doing something insane, I installed a brand new
>  3.3-RELEASE machine running the GENERIC kernel, installed samba from the
>  ports and did a smbclient "put" - still very slow performance. This is
>  very repeatable, I have tryed this on 3 different hardware platforms on
>  different networks and different network cards, they all do exactly the
>  same thing.
>
>  Tweeking with the samba config file makes no difference, this must be
>  something way beyond that. We are talking 9k a second, not much more then
>  a modem out of 100M ethernet cards on switched networks! These machine
>  can ftp at rates closer to 5 megabytes a second and above.

Someone stated that the Samba port had patches to fix the speed problem
seen with FreeBSD (it's not just 3.3, it's 2.0.5a and any recent FreeBSD,
AFAIK).

What they failed to mention is that the Samba port was updated after
3.3-RELEASE, and it looks like said patches are part of the post-3.3R
update.  So try downloading the latest port, and installing from that.
I'll be doing the same today.