Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:08:13 +0800 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCL

J Wunsch writes:
> As Gary Clark II wrote:
>
>> Yes, I know that some of you people dislike PERL the way I dislike
>> TCL, but so far I've not seen any apps that TCL could do that PERL could
>> not. (Maybe expect, but I've seen PERL code that does the same thing).
>
> I don't know Tcl (very much), and people who know me also know that
> i'm rather a Perl bigot.
>
> Anyway, i think Tcl is good in what it has been intended for by
> Ousterhout: an embeddable language.  Sure, Perl 5 also has a C
> interface, but i would probably stop using Perl for my project by the
> time being tempted to require such an interface.  Likewise, i couldn't
> imagine to the least would ever be usefully done in Perl, but i think
> a Tcl scripting for some C framework can really do its thing.
>
> As one of the Joels wrote here, each language for what it has been
> designed for.

I won't disagree with any of this.  I just disagree with the concept
of having to use different languages for different purposes.  (dons
asbestos underwear) As far as I am concerned, there are three
languages: (Bourne) shell, awk, and C.  Sure, it takes more effort to
write some things in C than it would in perl or tcl, but you don't get
boxed in so easily.

Greg