Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 16:15:52 -0400
From:      Rich Haney <rich@haneys.net>
To:        Web Razter <webrazter@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StartX or graphical login

Gosh, there are literally tons of shell scripting tutorials.  O'Reilly
publishes a book on using each of the major shells (ksh, csh and bash),
and each has a section on scripting in the language.  You can also look
at something online, such as :

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/usail/concepts/shell-scripting.html

Basically, your .login should just call the script (probably best to
have it exec at the end).  The script should probably just look for the
existence of the X lock file, and start X if it doesn't exist, something
like this (note that this may not work - I haven't tested it):

#!/bin/sh
if [ ! -e /tmp/.X0-lock ]
then
	exec startx
fi

This script simply looks for the existence of a file called
/tmp/.X0-lock - and, if it doesn't exist, calls startx .

HTH.  Don't worry about the newbie stuff - I'm a FreeBSD newbie myself
(but I've got a good bit of *NIX experience).  We all start somewhere.

Rich

--

Rich Haney
rich@haneys.net