Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:20:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Oh my god, Google has a USENET archive going back to 1981!

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :
> :That brings back memories. We wrote our own firmware for the 1541 since
> :the commodore DOS was so slow. I forget what transfer rate we managed but
> :it was much better than the standard code. Bit of a sod to debug though.
> :
> :--
> :Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
> :					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160
>
>     Yup.  Remember Bryce's 1541 Flash?  He was working on beefing up
>     the C64 serial link while I was working on beefing up the PET's
>     (software driven) IEEE-488 link.  We both managed to increase disk
>     bandwidth by an order of magnitude, mainly by synchronizing the
>     computer's 6502 with the peripheral's 65xx and then just stuffing
>     data into the ports without bothering with any handshakes until the
>     very end.  That old usenet posting I posted has some references to it.

I wasn't really into the C64 scene (it cost significant money just to get
Usenet access in the UK in those days). I was working on a C64 game at the
time and I remember spending many unhappy hours trying to fix some
problems with the drive firmware.

That was a pretty cool project actually. The game was a text adventure
originally written in 68k assembler and we wrote a 68k emulator and VM
system which paged the game's 128k address space from the floppy into the
C64's teaspoonful of memory. All the development was done on a Microvax
running 4.2BSD. The vax generated C64 disk images which we downloaded via
the C64's serial port. Those were the days <sigh>.