Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:47:47 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Jon Mini <baka@elvis.mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An odd scripting language

At 12:32 AM -0700 7/16/02, Jon Mini wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 15, 2002, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  >
>>  At the same time, I don't think we can ever "be safe" with some
>>  standard scripting language in the base system, because that
>>  scripting language will change over time.  And my guess is that
>>  any good scripting language will eventually evolve into it's own
>>  "OS-neutral" platform, and thus grow into a monster that we won't
>  > want to have in our base system.
>
>However, I am intruiged by your assertion here. It implies that
>perhaps a good direction to try would be to build a scripting
>language that is tied to FreeBSD, but contains elements that makes
>it easy to pick up by people who are already comfortable with
>the popular scripting languages.

That is kind of where I'm heading in my own thoughts, but you
immediately run into problems over "what should that language
look like?".  I'd like something that looks like ruby, because
I like ruby.  I have friends who swear by python, so they'd
probably like something that looked like python.

If I really were to pursue this, I guess I'd first try to figure
out what exactly it is that (say) ruby provides which is missing
from plain sh/awk/sed, and then try to provide that minimal set
of missing capability.

The problem is that I'd rather just write some scripts in ruby than
to try to figure out some new, minimalist scripting language...