Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2024 20:31:10 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org, obiwac@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for a wireless chipset for 802.11s and/or hostap mode

On Thu, 13 Jun 2024, Shawn Webb wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 11:21:22PM +0000, Shawn Webb wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Given either an m.2 or mPCIe interface, what would be my best option
>> for a wireless network adapter that, at a minimum, supports hostap
>> mode? Hoping for 802.11n or 802.11ac for hostap mode.

11n the options are documented for the drivers and nothing has changed
in years.  Theres a few options to pick from if you want hostap.
Most of that hardware is a decade old.

11ac nothing there yet.

>> I know mesh networking isn't supported (yet) on FreeBSD. I'm hoping

Sorry, but mesh is in FreeBSD (or at least a state of it) and has been
for ages.  People used to use it on research in the past.
I believe it is even compiled in by default these days:

% grep -r MESH sys/*/conf/*
sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC:options  IEEE80211_SUPPORT_MESH  # enable 802.11s draft support
sys/i386/conf/GENERIC:options   IEEE80211_SUPPORT_MESH  # enable 802.11s draft support
sys/powerpc/conf/GENERIC:options        IEEE80211_SUPPORT_MESH
sys/powerpc/conf/GENERIC64:options      IEEE80211_SUPPORT_MESH  # enable 802.11s draft support
sys/powerpc/conf/GENERIC64LE:options    IEEE80211_SUPPORT_MESH  # enable 802.11s draft support

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7