Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:34:21 +0100
From:      "Andy" <andy@tecc.co.uk>
To:        "Enriko Groen" <enriko.groen@netivity.nl>, "'Tony Saign'" <tony@saignon.net>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Redundant setup on a budget??

> I would suggest clustering the two machines...
> Why leave a backup machine running all the time with nothing to
> do while it
> could reduce the load on the first server?

This great till one keels over and then the other one must
take the load (which you failed to monitor) then, under 2x
stress you didn't account for, boom, no servers as the one
on it's own dies under stress. Been there, bought the hat thanks.

I use the previous method. However, once in a while I whip out
the ethernet cable of the main server, if your backup's screwed
you soon know, your expecting a problem remember. Good if the backup
kicks in fine. If it doesn't at least at that point 2sec sfter
shoving the cable back your in business and just leaving you to
fix a bust backup server ;)

Regards
Andy, as they say PPPPPP