Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 2015 08:33:35 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make installworld fails on file not found (Error code 71)

> > It looks like a problem with WITHOUT_MANCOMPRESS.

> > I am looking into it.

> A fix is now committed. It has been broken since June.

> Regards,
> Bryan Drewery

Thanks for the fix, computer is now busy with NetBSD update from 6.99.44 (16 months old) to 7.99.21 for both amd64 and i386, but I intend to get back to the FreeBSD update after that is done.

I checked /etc/src.conf and found
WITHOUT_MANCOMPRESS=yes
WITHOUT_DOCCOMPRESS=yes

I looked in other directions for the problem and would have just been wasting time and computer energy.

Compressed man pages can be a nuisance, and not really necessary or helpful with today's big hard drives and USB sticks.

Good I was able to expose a bug of four months' standing.

Tom