Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:57:12 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Jon Myers <myersjw@alfredstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: general slowness and Q's..

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 03:28:30PM -0500, Jon Myers wrote:
> I recently acquired an AlphaServer 800 5/333 (EV56) w/320megs ram.  The
> system seems to run about the same speed as my PentiPro 200 as far as
> buildworld and buildkernel go.  Is this normal?  Anything else needing to
> be done to these alphas with SRM to get them to go a little faster?
> buildworld took 4 hours, 22 minutes.
> buildkernel (generic) takes 37 minutes.
> (buildworld on my single ppro200 w/IDE drives takes 4 hours, 7 minutes)

The gcc code generator is apparantly much slower on Alpha than on x86.

Not that compiling on Tru64 is particularly fast using the Compaq/HP
compiler. I suppose that the optimiser tries to do more smart things on
the Alpha CPU.

> Another odd thing is I've pulled all the drives, except for one 9 gig as
> dka0.  bootup sees 15 devices (da0 - da14) all pointing to this same drive,
> same bus, same lun, but different targets.  If I install more drives I cant
> seem to find them in the dmesg anywhere.. so not sure how to label
> them.  (have a pile of these 9 gig drives, so normally they should appear
> with the same model number and such, and no way to tell them apart other
> than from the device numbers which seem to be a little off at the
> moment).  The SCSI interface is whatever came with the box (NOT using RAID
> on this.. don't have the controller for it).

Looks like a SCSI ID conflict or so??

> This box was just handed over to us at the telecomm office because the
> relatively new guys at the computer center got rid of all their powerful
> machines, and replaced with P2 and P3 windows boxes.  (most of these alphas
> were running VMS).

Say thank you and keep a close eye on the dumpster. :)

W/