Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:58:18 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?UTF-8?B?S8O8aG4=?= <gerrit.kuehn@aei.mpg.de>
To:        Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
Cc:        freebsd-xfce@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: polkit not running after update

Am Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:41:07 +0100
schrieb Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>:

> > ---
> > Jan 18 10:58:57 beastie dbus-daemon[36795]: [system] Failed to activate
> > service 'org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1': timed out
> > (service_start_timeout=25000ms)
> > ---
> >

> > However, I'm unable to find out /why/ this happens and how to fix it.
> > Any hints?

> Not easy to guess. Also, while I do work on xfce ports I know little
> about polkit details. xfce uses it, but it's not part of xfce.

Thanks for your time. Is there any better place where I could ask
about this?

> look into .xsession-errors, that's where output from user X11 session
> goes, maybe you can find some hint there. Do expect various scary
> warnings there, but most are really just noise.

I'm using startxfce4 on the commandline, so I don't have .xesssion-errors.
I didn't see any other striking issues on the commandline output, apart
from the PolicyKit error messages.

> Check if you have any core dumps from polkit laying around. I think the
> root directory is the most likely place.

No, nothing like like that.

> You could also try launching polkitd by hand as a user or as root and
> see what it says It should also have a --debug flag.

Turns out, it rather has a --no-debug flag. ;-)
With debugging enabled I get the following:

---
root@beastie:~ # /usr/local/lib/polkit-1/polkitd
Successfully changed to user polkitd
/usr/local/share/polkit-1/rules.d 11:52:18.901: Finished loading,
compiling and executing 1 rules Entering main event loop
Connected to the system bus
11:52:18.903: Lost the name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 - exiting
Shutting down
Exiting with code 0
---

Searching about this, this looks like the communication with dbus is not
working properly. This matches the error message I previously got from the
other end (dbus) in /var/log/messages. Somehow the two processes fail to
cumminucate with each other.

> Trying to reinstall it (via ports if using ports o with pkg upgrade -f
> if using binary packages) could help. Same for it's requirements, I get:

Yes, I already tried that, unfortunately without any success.

cu
  Gerrit