Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 17:51:41 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ViM vs. Emacs

Alexander Langer said on Apr 20, 2000 at 13:37:51:
> Also sprach Christian Weisgerber (naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de):
>
> > On all those Red Hat/Mandrake Linux boxes "vi" is vim by default.
> > Very painful, if you are used to nvi from BSD. A few days ago I
>
> What do you use what ViM does not provide?

Some things like multiple-level undo/redo work differently.
I like vim's way of doing that better. Depends what you're
used to, I suppose. But on vim, you can recover your unmodified
document by pressing u again and again: on nvi I think the ability
to recover past changes is more limited.

Also, does nvi do things like formatting of paragraphs after they're
already written, visual block copying of text (eg picking out only
columns 7 to 12 of these four lines and placing them in an arbitrary
place as below), etc? Or syntax highlighting?
                        does n
                        y writ
                        s 7 to
                        as bel

> > vim on a BSD box where there's a perfectly functional nvi is just
> > repugnant.

It's silly to say things like that, or "vim sucks", but I suppose
the original mail started it.