Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2020 13:33:03 -0600
From:      Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org>
To:        Andreas X <hamdi20193d@gmail.com>
Cc:        Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw for udp on FreeBSD 12.1?

On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 09:07:19AM +0300, Andreas X wrote:
> P.S: What are those "It is only some of the experimental accelerated file
> transfer protocols that start playing with spraying UDP packets.", I'd love
> to learn/read more about them, if they offer much faster transfer speed -
> as FTP is terribly slow.. Always has been!

FWIW: I haven't seen FTP as terribly slow, but then again everything I
do is pretty local over high-speed networks (ie. 10G WAN). I do know you can
get into the weeds with FTP for long haul with bad TCP windows kicking in, but
that isn't my environment.

There's plenty of projects that come and go. Nothing really has gained traction.

Such as
     https://www.evl.uic.edu/cavern/RBUDP/Reliable%20Blast%20UDP.html
     http://tsunami-udp.sourceforge.net/
     http://udt.sourceforge.net/
     http://uftp-multicast.sourceforge.net/

There are some commercial projects as well. The discussion comes up on hackernews
every now and then.