Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 97 16:43:00 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Importance of DNS reverse resolution

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 00:37:59 -0400, Gary Palmer wrote:

>spork wrote in message ID
><Pine.BSF.3.95q.970724003016.14460A-100000@super-g.inch.com>:
>> processes the logs.  We've since gotten some positive responses from
>> clients coming in from ISPs that don't do revs on most of their dialup
>> connections.
>
>Thats broken. A number of ftp sites won't let you on without a valid
>DNS entry for both A and PTR records. I'd ask my ISP to fix their DNS
>if they weren't giving reverses. It's just plain stupid.

	If IRC is important to your customers, you should know that on
many networks (EFnet for instance) most servers won't let a person on if
they don't reverse (partially as a protection from spoofing).  On DALnet
we are a little more liberal, in the sense that we allow the clients on
but they show up with an IP address instead of the hostname.  In the
future, this may change though, and of course, reverse mapping is
generally a good policy anyway. :)

	On a related note, it may be of interest that approximately 10% of
the users that connect to us either don't have hostnames, or have names
that don't resolve.  I know that some of them are intentional, in fact
I've contacted some sites who've told me explicitly that they don't
resolve their user's hostnames to discourage them from using IRC.  And
I'll spare you the humorous responses I get from ISP's that I contact
regarding misconfigured DNS entries, although my favorite was the one that
tried to convince me that there was a GOOD REASON for the A and PTR
records for the hostname of their shell server to be mismatched....
*Grin*

The man who fears nothing, loves nothing.