Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 14:56:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jon Drukman <jsd@mail.gamespot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   newfs extended partition

I just reclaimed an old disk drive and for
various reasons I want to just wipe out an
MSDOS partition that lies in the extended
partition.  I can mount it fine, it shows
up in FreeBSD as /dev/ad0s7.  However, I
can't newfs it.  I get the following message,
which I can't figure out:

cluttered# newfs /dev/ad0s7
newfs: ioctl (GDINFO): Invalid argument
newfs: /dev/ad0s7: can't read disk label; disk type must be specified

I don't want to muck around with disklabel without
knowing what I'm doing.  I have backed up the data
but I'd rather not disturb the other stuff in the
extended partition if possible.

-jsd-