Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:37:05 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Jev' <jev@ecad.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: java status and

Dear Jev,

> What is stopping Sun from officially supporting java for FreeBSD?

Time. They are negotiating a license agreement with Nate Williams, who
represents the FreeBSD community as a whole in this matter.

The going is slow, but there is progress. Patience, grasshopper. If you are
a lawyer you could contact Nate and offer your help. :)

> 	`-> Is there any way of convincing them to support FreeBSD?

They are already convinced. As part of their announcement that Linux would
be a fully supported platform for the JDK at ApacheCon Europe 2000 they gave
me a slice of their presentation time to talk about the status of the
FreeBSD native port.

> 	`-> I heard there were certain requirements that an OS has to
> 	    meet before being supported, what are these requirements?

I don't know where you heard this. Any solid references?

The source code to the JDK is some 25 megs of a mix of C, shell scripts,
assembler and makefiles. You need all of this to work to get a JDK. I think
that's taxing enough for any OS without Sun specifying others as well. :-)

The FreeBSD 4.x kernel has no kernel threads. The JDKs rely on kernel
threads

> The native freebsd jdk port, can users in only certain countries
> use this?

I don't know. I imagine that our license would be as
restrictive/unrestrictive as the regular Solaris and Linux one.

> Does BSDi have a fully functional fully supported jdk?

River Wind (or was it Wind River? formerly BSDi) is working on their own
port. I'm not sure about the status of the 1.2.2 port. They have one man
working full-time on the BSD/OS 1.3.1 port. His work is also imported into
the patch sets that Greg Lewis publishes.

Incidently, the same is true for work from porters in the NetBSD and the
OpenBSD camps.

    Kees Jan