Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:56:53 +0930
From:      "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPL: implications for FreeBSD-on-hardware for sale?

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 09:46:29AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> There's no problem with selling GPL'd programs for money.  As the
> cant goes "Free speech, not free beer".

I guess I'm interpreting Section 1 too restrictively then.  I took
"You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy" to
be fairly limiting on the magnitude of this fee.  I guess it's not
then.

> All you have to do to comply with the GPL is make available the
> sources to the software you're using to your customers, or let them
> know how they can retrieve them from a third party.  In this case,
> probably just pointing them in the direction of the FreeBSD servers
> would be sufficient.

OK.

> If you're dead against redistributing GPL'd stuff, you'll find it
> difficult to produce a completely GPL-free setup: removing things
> like the C compiler and gdb and texinfo is easy enough, but such
> things as readline and the regex libraries are harder to deal with.

I'm not against it.  I just want to make sure I get the specifics of
the license exactly right.  :-)

Thanks a lot for your input, Matthew.

--=20
Paul.