Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2021 17:00:14 -0700
From:      Pete Wright via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
To:        Rocky Hotas <rockyhotas@post.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD equivalent of ethtool

On 10/13/21 4:29 PM, Rocky Hotas wrote:
> Hello!
> `pkg search ethtool' provides no suitable results. Is there any executable
> in FreeBSD base system or ports which offers the same functionalities
> (or similar ones) as ethtool in Linux?

I think it really depends on what your specific use-case is.

I find that BSD ifconfig(8) covers most use cases for configuring
interfaces (both physical and virtual), and the sysctl interface is also
useful for pulling and setting device specific information. the latter
is usually well documented in the man page for the interface (see
if_em(4) for example).

it should be noted that ifconfig(8) on bsd's tends to do much more than
the old linux ifconfig and probably the new "ip" command as well.

finaly, netstat(1) is very helpful for viewing information about the
network stack itself, for example "netstat -m" to view memory stats.

-p

--
Pete Wright
pete@nomadlogic.org