Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 22:41:28 -0500
From:      "Curt Tyler" <crt@starfishnet.com>
To:        <la3sg@sensewave.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.7 REL Install problem "Write failure on transfer!"

> > I'm trying to install 4.7-Release from CDROM.
> > BootMgr is installed and works to boot Win98.
> > The FreeBSD partition seems to get formated ok.
> > But when the "/bin" files are copied:  "Write failure on transfer!"
> When I boot from floppies and use the 4.7 CD for sysgen I get a similar
> message. I can not boot from my CD either.
> There have been several posts from others with similar difficulties with
> 4.7 lately. I have been downloading and burning CDs since r4.1 with no
> difficulties. The only way I can get 4.7 is to start with my 4.6.2 CD and
> then cvsup up to 4.7
> >
> > Should I replace my disk drive with a frog?
> Probably won't help.
> In my case I suspect that my CD burner or the media I am using must
> be the culprits. I have downloaded the 4.7 ISOs from three different
> mirrors, burned 4 CDs using two different burning programs. No luck.

crt: I bought my CDs from daemonnews, since we have the same problem,
crt: your CD burner or media are not likely to be the culprits.

Oops, the error messages I see with Alt F2 (invalid bit length repeat)
do look like trouble with the media.  Silly me, I thought a "Write failure"
would be a failure while writeing.  Other posts implied that it could
be my "El Cheapo" cdrom drive, but the workaround suggested
(set hw.ata.ata_dma="1" etc before boot) didn't help.