Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:46:45 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: dhclient going crazy...

Hello Bill,

>> DoS but thought that there might be a bug in the dhclient.
> Did you reboot the box?  FreeBSD isn't very prone to binary
> corruption, but (theoretically) it's still possible.  I wouldn't
> blame dhclient itself, though, as I've run it for years with no
> problems.  If your dhclient is acting up you probably need to do
> buildworld again.

That I had already scheduled but postponed it until I could
run cvsup again. We'll see how it's going once I'm finished with it.

>> Actually, there's a whole lot of those ARP changes for the GW,
>> could it be that dhclient went crazy about it?
> dhclient shouldn't have any reason to change MAC addresses.

Yeah sure but the DHCP *server* changed its...

>> That's originally what I expected to be the reason too but the NOC
>> guy
>> told me that they're running with 60min leases.
> Yeah, but remember that you're running things in a sane manner, and
> if they (for some unknown reason) went wacko, you'd think that it
> must be the other guy as well.

Oh we all are familiar with the fact that this industry does even
more
fingerpointing than most others...

> my first reaction is "what did you break" (because usually that's
> true)  Then later I find that my systems are wacked out.  Only

Yeah I know. But as I'm admin myself, I wanted to speak with the NOC
guys which the helpdesk wouldn't let me do, stating they haven't got
the number of the NOC anyway...

> difference is that I'll admit my mistake to the customer.

ACK (maybe not if the mistake really was too stupid ;-)

>> Neither did I. The box in question has a somewhat doubtful
>> internal (dc0) interface that would generate watchdog alerts from
>> time to time since a few week but despite it was running for more
>> than a year without a single problem. I sure did upgrade it from
>> time to time but as STABLE really is stable for the very most
>> part, I never ever
>> encountered any trouble while on it...
> Well, definately take a minute to email me if you ever figure
> it out.  I'd be curious to know what's up.

Will sure post it to the list as others seem to be interested also.

Best regards,
 Gabriel