Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 08:12:37 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "GH" <grasshacker@linkfast.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

G'day GH

> Well, I will do my best to help you find what information you need.
>
> What do you need to find?

I explained the origin of the Pedantic FreeBSD in previous message. I intend
to expand on it so its relevant to newbies generally, and covers a wider
range of issues. What I'd like to achieve is something conceptually like the
Handbook or Complete FreeBSD,
with plenty of pics / diagrams / screenshots / whatever / etc (as in the
present Pedantic FreeBSD) , but without all the missing bits of information.
Another way to put it is to re-write the Handbook with the assumption that
the reader has NO prior knowledge of unix.

To do this I've been using my own  experience in implementing FreeBSD
systems in "real world" situations, trying to figure stuff out by collecting
info from wherever I can get it. I've found the existing Manual etc of only
limited use due to all the gaps, and also the fact that its so fragmented.
There is a heap of good info in the mailing list, but its like "a needle in
a haystack" finding stuff there when one is under time constraints.

Now to answer your question, its fairly obvious that if there is to be some
more explicit documentation it will need to be written almost exclusively by
a relative newbie (so ALL the info is regarded important), and if its to
cover a lot of issues it will need contributions from a bunch of people (I
have no interest personally in KDE / Gnome / ghostscript / etc, and also I
don't have unlimited time). Another issue where input would be useful is
warnings of problem hardware / software. (Eg SiS videocards are almost
always trouble, the mgetty package is broken & info on compiling from source
is too complicated to be usable by newbies, etc etc) There are also
countless shortcuts around the place that virtually never rate a mention by
the experts. An example is the excellent "ppp_script.sh" thingy that sets up
user-ppp in seconds with none of the aggro.
There must be hundreds of comparable things that which would  make life less
frustrating for newbies, but the ONLY way to learn of their existence is
from newbies, since the experts don't appear to be interested in stuff like
that.