Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 1999 20:44:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de (Juergen Lock)
Cc:        matt@zigg.com (Matt Behrens), zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: easyboot far into disk

> On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 11:30:39AM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > > I forgot:

> > > make install DESTDIR=/mnt
> >
> > This has bugs in it, it flobbs with /var/db/kvm_kernel.db and should
> > not do any of that stuff unless DESTDIR is null or / or / equiv.
>
> Hmm.  I actually looked at the make -n output but missed that bug (oops!)
>
>  What would break if we just used ${DESTDIR}/var/db/kvm_kernel.db
> there too?  Somehow i would believe it isn't doing it that way for
> a reason...

The fact that ${DESTDIR}/var/db may not even exist if I am using DESTDIR
to stuff a kernel someplace safe.

Think about it... the purpose of frobbing with /var/db/kvm_kernel.db is
becuase you _MAY_ be frobbing the kernel running image and libkvm doesn't
like it when /kernel and /bar/db/kvm_kernel.db are missmatched.  (I think this
code is also seriously broken for the case that you booted some other
kernel.  It should only be frobbing things if the file it is about to
replace is the file returned by ``sysctl kern.bootfile'', in all other
cases it should do nothing more than install the file.)

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net