Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 15:37:02 -0400
From:      Chuck Bacon <crtb@capecod.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, mikel@cynet.net.au
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup Questions.

> G'Day all.

> What is the best way to selectively backup a system onto a tape.  ie.
> Backup the entire system except for certain specified directories.

CYA with dump(8).  You can dump whatever you like, all the way to full.
If you are on FreeBSD, try 'man dump' and see suggestions for establishing
a schedule.

> Also, once backed up, what is the procedure to do a full system restore
> (in the event of starting from a "virgin" system)  And do filesystems such
> as /var and /dev restore properly?  Or must I do a "minimal" system
> install and then restore "over-the-top" in single user mode.

Everything can be restored from the dump tape onto a mounted filesystem.
No, you can't use dump to restore to a raw disk.

> Finally, what is the best method of backing up tapeless systems?  These
> systems are on the same network connected via Ethernet.  I have seen
> referance to Amanda and I guess the other option is NFS mounting them and
> going from there, but that brings up the restore issue again.

Tapeless systems can be dumped and restored over an Ethernet.  In
experiments, I discovered that between a Convex (near-supercomputer)
and SGI Challenge (giant server), with fast tapes, the backup rate over
a lightly loaded Ethernet was about a Gig per hour.  If you ran two dump
processes over the same, you got two Gigs per hour.  You would obviously
get better performance on 100mbps Ethernet.

> I have sufficient DAT tapes and a drive etc.

> Thanking all of you in advance

> Regards and Salutations,

> Mikel

> --
> Mikel Lindsaar        |  "If the dream is big enough,
> mikel@cynet.net.au    |        the facts don't count!"
> (Under Construction)    http://www.cynet.net.au/~mikel/

	Chuck Bacon - crtb@capecod.net
		ABHOR SECRECY	-   DEFEND PRIVACY