Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 07:39:59 -0700
From:      Ben Lovett <blovett@bsdguru.com>
To:        Bob Johnson <bobj@ufl.edu>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk clicking... (Was: Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and suspend-to-disk)

Bob Johnson (bobj@ufl.edu) wrote:
> Ben Lovett wrote:
> >
> > I believe I saw Greg Lehey (grog@FreeBSD.ORG) write this:
> > > >>
> [...]
> > >
> > > Well, the heads all move together.
> > ok..

> > > A lot of us noticed "clunk" noises from the disks of 7500s built
> > > between 12 and 18 months ago.  I had mine replaced as a result, and
> > > the new disk has never made any noise.  Mike Smith didn't have his
> > > replaced, and the disk still goes "clunk" after 18 months, but he
> > > doesn't have any other problems with it.
> >

> My 7500 makes what you might call "clicks" or "clunks" when it does
> what sound to me like long seeks.  I've heard it from so many drives
> that I consider it normal.  My mother-in-law's laptop had a horribly
> noisy and slow drive that she thought was failing -- it was merely a
> highly fragmented Windows swap file.  Cleaned that up and the system
> got quiet and fast again (isn't that neat?  Windows is actually
> designed to get slower with use!).
>
> When doing most disk-intensive operations on this 7500 (e.g. deleting
> /usr/obj) it is very quiet, but during normal operation it clicks
> and clunks once in a while.  I've always assumed that was a long seek
> related to flushing a buffer or something.  Long seeks tend to be
> (in my experience) relatively noisy on many drives.

Yes.. This is what I seem to notice.  The funny thing is, I don't
believe i've heard it when the system is booted into Windows..

> > Well.. I guess that I am observing this behavior on my replacement disk,
> > I'll live with it.  Unless I hear different.
> >
> > On a sort of side note.. I was discussing this issue with my boss
> > yesterday, and he was explaining to me that when hard drives are
> > manufactured, because of the nature of the mass-production, the platters
> > will never turn out without flaws, and thus will have some bad sectors.
> > So, when the drives go through their low-level formatting at the
> > factory, those sectors will be marked as "bad" on some part of the
> > drive.  He was telling me that the reason that the drive may be clicking
> > is that the heads are comming across one of these sectors that is marked
> > bad, when it thought there was data there (or something to that effect),
> > and then resyncing itself.  Does that make sense?  I believe that is
> > what he was saying.
>
> A sector mapped bad shouldn't be accessed in the first place, but
> it sort of makes sense.  My understanding is that when a SCSI drive
> (and probably recent IDE drives) detects errors in a sector, it maps
> out that sector and replaces it with one from a spare sector pool at
> the end of the disk.  Thus, when that sector is accessed, there is a
> seek to the end of the disk which you might hear.  I assume that
> sectors mapped bad at the factory are replaced by the next available
> sector, so there would be no seek involved.  Thus, only newly bad sectors
> would cause noise.

Yes.  That is what I remember now.. He mentioned something about a spare
sector pool, but I had forgotten about that until now.  But, with a
brand new drive, there should be no newly created bad sectors...
Atleast not *yet*

-ben